CLAT 2023: The Consortium of National Law Universities has released an official notification along with the registration form for CLAT 2023 today, August 08, 2022. It has opened the CLAT 2023 examination portal where candidates can register themselves to get the latest updates on dates, application form and patterns and syllabus. The CLAT 2023 Application form is available at the official website - consortiumofnlus.ac.in. The last date to fill the CLAT application form 2023 is November 13, 2022. The CLAT 2023 will be conducted on December 18, 2022, in offline mode. This is for the first time that the Common Law Admission Test or CLAT will be as early as December instead of its usual time, i.e., the first week of May. In some ways, it is good for the candidates as CLAT will not clash with board exams. However, aspirants should also consider the fact that they will have less time to Prepare for CLAT 2023. So, they are advised to kick-start their preparation accordingly. And, that is why, it becomes very important to know about CLAT 2023, its syllabus, pattern along with preparation tips. In this article, CLAT 2023 aspirants can know all exam-related details, including preparation tips, sample papers and more.
CLAT 2023 - Highlights
|Name of the exam
||Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)
||The Consortium of National Law Universities (NLUs)
|Mode of exam
|Number of questions
||150 for UG CLAT, 120 for PG CLAT
|Number of seats
||CLAT-based seat Intake: 5-year integrated LLB program - 2538 seats, LLM program - 742 seats
|Purpose of exam
||Admission to: BA LLB, B.Sc LLB, BBA LLB, B.Com LLB, BSW LLB, and, LLM
CLAT 2023 exam date
The consortium has announced the CLAT exam date 2023.
It will conduct the CLAT 2023 on December 18, 2022, in offline mode. The complete schedule of CLAT 2023 will be released after July 15. 2022. Candidates can however check the tentative schedule below.
CLAT Important dates 2023
||Dates for CLAT 2023
|Release of admission notification
||July 15, 2022
|Opening of CLAT 2023 application form
||August 08, 2022
|Release of first sample question set
|Release of second sample question set
||October 14, 2022
|Last date to submit application form
||November 13, 2022
|Last date to submit fee and edit application form
|Release of admit card
|CLAT 2022 exam date
||December 18, 2022 (Announced)
|Release of provisional answer key
||December 19, 2022
|Release of final answer key
||Fourth week of December 2022
|Declaration of results
||Fourth week of December 2022
|Commencement of counselling
CLAT 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who want to appear in CLAT 2023
, must meet the eligibility criteria. Candidates who are not eligible for admission to integrated LLB programmes offered by NLUs will not be considered for admission even if they pass the examination. Therefore, it becomes mandatory for the candidates to fulfil the CLAT eligibility criteria…
- For UG-CLAT 2023, the candidates should have passed Class 12 or an equivalent examination with at least 45% aggregate marks (40% in the case of SC and ST candidates).
- If you are currently studying in Class 12 or an equivalent course and set to appear in the board examination in May or April 2023, you are eligible to appear in CLAT 2023.
However, admission will again be subject to meeting the eligibility criteria which also includes the criterion of minimum marks in Class 12).
CLAT application form 2023
The Consortium of NLUs has released the CLAT 2023 application form on August 08, 2022. The application form will be available online, at the official website of CLAT 2023 - consortiumofnlus.ac.in
. The application process for CLAT 2023 is given below.
» CLAT 2023 Registration -
Visit the official website of CLAT, and register using your mobile number and email ID.
» Fill out CLAT application form 2023 -
Enter the personal and communication details, and educational qualifications, and select the test centres and reservation status.
» Preview application form -
Check all the details to verify that all details are entered correctly.
» Submit CLAT application form 2023 and fee payment -
After verification, submit the application form, and pay the application fee. The CLAT 2023 application fee is Rs 4,000
for general category candidates and Rs 3,500 for SC and ST candidates
CLAT Syllabus 2023
Candidates preparing for CLAT 2023
should refer to its syllabus to know about the subjects from which questions will be asked in the examination. Referring to the syllabus of CLAT 2023 will clear all ambiguity regarding the book selection, important topics and test structure. Therefore, candidates should keep referring to the official syllabus during their preparation. The CLAT syllabus covers five subjects, these are - English, general knowledge and current affairs, elementary maths, legal aptitude, and logical reasoning. The subject-wise distribution of marks for CLAT 2023 is given below.
CLAT syllabus 2023 and subject-wise distribution of marks
||Number of questions
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
CLAT legal aptitude 2023
Legal aptitude is an important section of the CLAT examination. Candidates preparing for should work on their fundamentals of legal aptitude. Candidates should prepare for legal aptitude in a comprehensive manner. There are two aspects of legal aptitude; legal current affairs and legal concepts & terminology. Candidates should focus on both aspects and try to connect current legal issues with the traditional legal concepts.
For legal aptitude, candidates can follow the below-mentioned resources
- Legal Awareness and Legal Aptitude by AP Bhardwaj
- LexisNexis Butterworths
- The Hindu or The Indian Express
- Legal magazines, judgments and editorials
Interesting facts about CLAT 2023
- This is for the first time that two CLATs are being conducted in the same year. CLAT 2022 is Scheduled to be conducted on June 19, 2022. And, CLAT 2023 will be held on December 18, 2022.
- Candidates who appear in CLAT 2022 may also appear in CLAT 2023 if they fail to qualify in the May examination.
- CLAT 2023 will be conducted for admission to 22 National Law Universities Only National Law University Delhi will not participate in the CLAT 2023 examination as it conducts a separate entrance examination - The all India Law Entrance Test.
- Around 70,000 candidates register for CLAT every year, making it one of the toughest examinations in the country.
- Candidates appearing in CLAT 2023 may also use their CLAT Scores for admission to several law colleges other than NLUs. These colleges will be called CLAT affiliated colleges as they sign agreements with the NLU Consortium.
- The academic year in national law universities will start from around July or August 2022. The counselling will be conducted based on CLAT scores.